Thursday, August 28, 2008

A much needed centerpiece

I can't stand to throw the little Smucker's jelly jars away. The organic grape jelly comes in these wee little jars that just beg to hang around long after the contents have been eaten. As such, several of these jars wait patiently in the cabinet, soaked free of their labels, just waiting for that moment of creativity to strike.

After our previous centerpiece met a very tragic end- (which revealed just how easily glass vases are broken) I realized I would like something this time that is small, unobtrusive, can be left on the table during conversation and not impede anyone's view! Of course, the polka dotted plates helped with the inspiration.



I used some of my glass primer from another project (free), some red and white paint I had from another project (free), and some lovely daisies I had left over from an old flower arrangement (free). And I just adore the outcome.

...Of course, once I start priming and painting, it becomes very difficult to restrain myself and not paint everything that will hold still. :)

13 comments:

Mackenzie said...

That is so cute Lauren!! Where do you get the primer? I too love jelly/salsa/spaghetti sauce jars and hate to recycle them...now I have a use!!
~Tilly
(((HUG)))

Casey said...

Hi
I was just browsing the blog and you title caught my eye.
And as I read the blog I was moved
just wanted to let you know I enjoyed the things you shared.
I have a blog
www.save-a-dime.blogspot.com
If you and your friends have a chance please spot in. Have a happy labor day.

Lauren Christine said...

Hello Tilly!! :) I got the glass primer at Michael's Craft Store. It's a spray paint that looks gray when you spray it on. I would tell you the exact name, but the label fell off :) I think it was around five dollars or so. If you can find one of those 40% off coupons, that's the way to go! I can't wait to see what you create!

((HUG!))

blessings,
Lauren Christine

Colin said...

I'm glad you didn't paint the cat too...

Rachel said...

Very Cute! :)

Keri said...

Very cute, Lauren! And laughing at the thought of you painting the cat! I guess it didn't hold still! ;)

Anonymous said...

Very creative! I'm a long time lurker on your blog (waaay back to just after you started it) so I thought I was overdue to comment. In case you've ever wondered, I'm the person from Kettering, UK on your visitor map. Hi!! *waves*

I actually saw a turquoise and white polka-dot casserole dish in a local shop the other day that made me think of you. :)

Anonymous said...

Very, very cute! You are just so creative!

Tiffany said...

That is so cute! I love those little jars and now I have an excuse to keep them.

Tiffany

ZipZip said...

Did you use a stencil, if you spray-painted the jar? It came out so well!

Natalie in Kentucky

Olivia said...

Love it! It looks so charming. :)

Lauren Christine said...

Vicky, that is so sweet! :) Thank you for thinking of me. I'm always on the lookout for polka dotted things!

Natalie, just the primer is sprayed on. Then I use acrylic paints to do the rest! And I use a sealer over it (also acrylic) that makes it shiny.

Mandy said...

That is so, so cute!! It makes me want to paint all my glass jars and boring glass vases. :)

 

Made by Lena