Sunday, July 20, 2008

Washington DC Pictures!

These are mainly for the benefit of my momma :) But for anyone else who would enjoy, here's the DC pictures!

Miss Faye and I outside the fancy Ritz Carlton.


The capitol building was by far our favorite spot!


We just got soaked by a surprise storm. So sad! :)


We waited and waited, but George and Laura never came out to wave.


Thomas Jefferson Memorial.


It's a REALLY big statue!


My first ever Subway ride. Staying in DC made me wish Texas had better public transit- I would LOVE to sell our cars. Sigh! You can read, crochet, or just relax while someone else does all the driving. And it makes you walk *so* much more- I think we'd all be a lot more fit here if we walked so much!


The Lincoln Memorial is so beautiful at night. And so big!

Cushy beds are nice, but sleeping without your snuggly hubby is not.

I took this one especially for momma. She loves buntings!


The subway tunnels were so neat. And they stayed pretty cool for it being so hot outside- it was a nice respite!

I think we took about 300 pictures or so (!)- this is just a small sample. I would love to spend days and days and days there- there is so much to see! I hope to go back someday. In case I do, I will be remembering these 6 Washington Commandments:

1. Thou shalt never store thy cell phone next to thy Metro card.
(This swiftly makes your cell phone crazy and demagnetizes your Metro card, leading to a kink in your easy traveling.)
2. Thou shalt always wear thy most comfortable shoes.
(Even in my most comfortable shoes, I am covered in blisters.)
3. Thou shalt ask thy congressman for House and Senate passes.
(Otherwise they turn you away at the door. Luckily, its just a short walk over to your friendly obliging Texas Congressman who will quickly aright the situation.)
4. Thou shalt carry a Metro map with thou every where thou goest.
(Otherwise you might accidentally get on the correct color train... going the wrong way. Ahem.)
5. Thou shalt arrive at the capitol building before three P.M.
(They stop giving tours at four- and if you don't happen to run into a friendly federal agent like we did, you won't get a tour! Thankfully and Providentially, we got an even better one that we would have. You can't say no to an after hours guided tour from a federal agent!)
6. Thou shalt travel with an umbrella.
(See above pictures-lol!)

That was silly... but you really might want to remember those things :)

11 comments:

Jaimee Lavin said...

thanks for the sharing the pics Lauren! I'm so glad you got to do some sight-seeing while you were in DC.

Missed you today!
~Jennifer

Mackenzie said...

I'm so glad you had fun!! It's to bad we weren't able to visit, but it sure looks like you kept busy! :) You should definitely try to come back sometime...perhaps once you have a few kiddos to appreciate it. Every Jan. there is the anual March For Life, and you can spend at least a week in the Smithsonian!!

Tiffany said...

That looks like so much fun!

I loved the easy transporation system in England. I think you're right, we should get something like that in the USA. We would all definitely be more fit. :-)

Tiffany

Anonymous said...

how do you get the House and Senate passes from the congressman?

~ Shannon said...

It looks like you had a splendid time! I just love your white tiered skirt :) And the six Washington D.C. commandments were quite funny! Thanks for brightening up my day!

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

Mandy said...

Thank you for sharing some of your pictures! It looks like you had so much fun! I really want to visit DC one day. If I do, I'll have to keep your tips in mind. :)

Emily said...

I love Washington DC although the last time I went it was snowing and walking in several feet of snow was not too fun. : ) I did get to see George Bush and entourage leaving the white house. It was quite by accident though. You look so nice in all your pictures so modest and feminine. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Your trip looks fun, my friend! And the commandments made me laugh, thanks!

Sarah said...

Oh, it looks like you had so much fun! It is one of my dreams to go to D.C. someday. Thanks for sharing the pictures! And the handy commandments as well! Nothing like the voice of experience. . .

Anonymous said...

The Washington commandments are hysterical! Looks like you had a lovely time!
I love the look of the blog! Very nice!

Nicole said...

Hi there Lauren, it's Nicole, who posted previously. I've continued to enjoy your blog when I check in. These are some truly beautiful pictures of DC. I was actually born in DC but as a military brat we moved a month after I was born and I (sadly) haven't been back yet. But your pictures make me want to go! :)

Blessings,

Nicole

 

Made by Lena